Sunday, April 14, 2013

Why Cyberbullying?


     I've never blogged, prior to this, but I have used social media in the form of Facebook, research, and dating. One of the things that I love most about Facebook is that I can communicate with my classmates from the American Embassy School, where I graduated from High School in 1979. If I would have thought about the odds of getting in touch with so many classmates of a school that had 38 different nationalities 10 years ago, I would have said that chances were not good. I have had a Myspace page and had much more success with Facebook, as far as communicating with friends.  That is the upside of social media in my life.

     I did a lot of research for this assignment and found the abusive nature of cyberbullying very disturbing, which I believe is a direct result of the addictive nature of over-use of the Internet. Young people communicate with their friends and classmates, and this can be innocent. Adding that they open themselves up to the cyber world, where people can pretend to be other people or where young people have found another way of bullying, is a recipe for disaster.  If, as an adult, I would have been bullied on Facebook I would simply block the person bullying me.  However, it would still be hurtful.  When I was in Junior High I remember being bullied by this girl that I didn’t even know.  She did awful things to me—threw drinks in my face, pulled my very long hair, and called me names.  It wasn’t until we matched up for a game of “fisty cuffs”  that the abuse ended.  I had enough of the abuse and decided to fight back.  I wouldn’t recommend that to anyone.  However, I can imagine what it might have been like if she would have had access to me via the Internet.  The Internet and social media is very powerful weapon, in my opinion. 

     My heart sincerely goes out to the young people that are being victimized by cyberbullying.  I recently watched a movie about a girl that was a victim of cyberbullying.  Her best friend had created a fake boy, in order to pursuade her friend from liking another boy.  The victim was so obsessed with reading the terrible things that were written about her (terrible things) that she got on the Web anyway she could.  Her mother had banned her from using her computer at home.  The girl tried to commit suicide but her attempt failed.  It took a long time for her to recover from the incident but she did, including bring attention to cyberbullying. 

     The primary reason I started writing about cyberbullying is because of a recent event in which a young 15 year old girl, Audrie Pott, committed suicide due to cyberbullying.  She was sexually assaulted by some boys who claimed to be her friends, while she was passed out at a party.  It wasn’t until pictures of the assault showed up on various social media location that she actually knew what had happened.  Not only was she raped but she was victimized, beyond comprehension.  Students had used cell phones to share photos of the attack, which were horrific.  This story broke my heart.  After all the research I did, I found many other stories of teen suicides related to cyberbullying.  Some of their names and photos are listed below.  

Audrie Potts 



Rehtoeh Parsons

 


 
Ryan Halligan
 
 
Giovanna Plowman
 
 
Amanda Todd
 
 
Megan Meier
 
 
 
Sadly, there are many more like these beautiful children.
 
More information to share:
 
  • Many States have created laws against cyberbullying.

  • From a person who is a bully--doesn't seem real.
  • The bullied often become the bullier.
  • Adults harrass children for very strange, unexplainable reasons.

  • 
     
    

    4 comments:

    1. A very heartfelt subject; sadly with all the technology around us and it's intention to make our lives better there are people who would use it to make life worse. As you said there are many more cases of cyberbullying victims than just those posted on your blog. What most people don't think about when they bully is the psychological trauma it can inflict on a person. I look forward to reading more from your blog.

      Neil

      ReplyDelete
    2. Great post. I agree that cyber bullying is at large and still continuing today. With the increase of social media, people are talking face to face less; more of the social atmosphere is done online. I looked at the bullying laws and was surprised that Alaska has a online bullying law! This topic needs a lot more attention! Great Job!
      -Zach

      ReplyDelete
    3. Lisa this is such an amazing post! Its very sad and almost made me cry, but I love how you spiced it up with adding in the additional links and information. I am in agreement with Zash, this topic does need more light shined on it.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Lisa, I liked your bringing to light the dangers of Cyber bullying. It was very informative to read about this. A lot of thing I have never known about. Especially that there have been so many suicides. Sad that almost all of them are so young and had not even begun to see what life was all about. I wanted to read about someone exacting revenge too. It's just to sad to read so much bullying and death.

      ReplyDelete